Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Access Time

Migration Somewhat Complete

Actually pink skin had some issues, not there anymore, working on it again soon. We're actually using 3.1.4 instead of 3.2 since 3.2 was really ugly, so we may be a little bit more unique still.

• Upvote 1

We moved because of the way Arinafans kept going really slow right? Like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally slooooooooooow. And it was starting to happen a lot. Needed a server update.

Right? xD

You'll get used to it though Syun. This site is AMAZING. I adore the new chat thing!!!!!!!♥ I logged in and everyone greeted me xD Way cooler then having to refresh the page~ And you can have private chats with people on it. Love it♥

Arinafans is unique because we're all here x3 Not because of what it looks like♥

Also Azula YOU'RE SO CUTE XD *Huggles* Course we want you here!!!!!!!!!!!!!♥

• Upvote 2

Previous host (1&1) was going down daily, getting really slow, and has simply abhorrent customer service.

This is awesome. :)

And it happened at a very ironic time. Our five-year anniversary is in what....3 weeks or something? XD Ha ha ha.

Not really ironic, best time ever to pull off something such as this, and yes the Arina Tanemura FanClub will be five years old on August 15, 2011.

If you want to consider the AnimePaper group we're already 5 years old, but I don't know exactly when that was founded.

I'm actually wondering... Why exactly did we move? I mean, I don't really have any huge problems with it, but it'd be nice to know the reason...

I've been considering moving for a good while now due to repeated issues with the 1&1, the other host, but just haven't felt the issues were quite worth the inconvenience of transferring and upgrading. However just the past few weeks they pretty much jumped off a cliff. Site was suffering multiple sections of being offline per day, servers were being horribly slow.

To give you and idea, their servers were having at most 12 hours of uptime, these are supposedly professional business class datacenter servers designed specifically for staying up as long as possible. I'm paying $9 per month for these plus domain registrar costs. On the flip side my 2001 HP Pavilion 754n Pentium 4 PC running a haphazardly pieced together webserver at http://knowltey.com:914 has at the time of this posting had an uptime of 645 hours 32 mins 48 secs or 26.8 days or 53.75 times the reliability of the professional hosting I'm paying for, and this is an off the shelf HP desktop running a horribly obsolete 10+ year old processor sitting under a table in my apartment and probably isn't even worth 9 dollars (considering the cheapest PC I can build to replace it is 100 bucks and way over 10 times as powerful). I'm sorry but that's just a tad sad.

Their outsourced technical support agents can't speak a lick of English to save their life and are the rudest, most unhelpful pricks I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Aforementioned technical support was unreliable, you could literally call in multiple times in a row and have a completely different answer every single time. They would promise to e-mail you when the server is fixed and never would etcetera.

Add to that 1&1 does customer loyalty "rewards" in that if you have an old plan with them you're going to be stuck on old crappy hardware, paying more for less features. To give you an idea, package I have with them is $8.99 per month because that's the price I got stuck with when signing up in 2006. However they have a package for $6.99 that is quite literally 10 times better than the $8.99 package I was stuck with. one part being that for 7 buck you get 25 1GB databases, but for just 9 dollars you can get 25 100MB databases (100MB also now being technically too small for ATFC to properly run)

Oh, and I use that obsolete computer for much more than just webhosting.

The chat didn't work for me when I tried it, so I don't like it. I'll probably like it if it actually opens and doesn't give me a stupid error message. And I saw that Access and Blue (I think it was those 2, I know 2 were in there) were in the room... But I couldn't get in because it showed an error.

I just realized that this functions a LOT like Hello! Online, another forum I frequent.

...And I just figured out why. They also use "Community Forum Software by IP.Board 3.1.4" according to the footer.

By the way, I dunno how they do it, but there is a banner rotation on that site. It's separate from the thing on the very top though.

Well I suck at explaining, go to hello-online.org to see what I mean. Going to different pages and refreshing changes which girl's picture is there, so I'm assuming it's a rotating banner. You guys said it wasn't supported here, so I dunno what they're doing to make it work.

Anyway I think since it seems to be very similar to a site I'm already very used to, I'll get used to this sooner or later... But I still hate the color scheme.

The chat didn't work the first time I tried it either, Syun-chan. But I got out and tried again and it worked.

Don't really know why but that's what happened to me.

The chat didn't work for me when I tried it, so I don't like it. I'll probably like it if it actually opens and doesn't give me a stupid error message. And I saw that Access and Blue (I think it was those 2, I know 2 were in there) were in the room... But I couldn't get in because it showed an error.

I just realized that this functions a LOT like Hello! Online, another forum I frequent.

...And I just figured out why. They also use "Community Forum Software by IP.Board 3.1.4" according to the footer.

By the way, I dunno how they do it, but there is a banner rotation on that site. It's separate from the thing on the very top though.

Well I suck at explaining, go to hello-online.org to see what I mean. Going to different pages and refreshing changes which girl's picture is there, so I'm assuming it's a rotating banner. You guys said it wasn't supported here, so I dunno what they're doing to make it work.

Anyway I think since it seems to be very similar to a site I'm already very used to, I'll get used to this sooner or later... But I still hate the color scheme.

Nah, should be supported, I just need to look into how to make it work and if we actually want to continue with it. I'll probably wait until at least when we can get a good custom skin.

WOW!! It surely look different! :D

lol I had no idea that Arinafans was changing whatsoever XD

It looks awesome!

• Upvote 1

Update to those wondering about the pink skin, just putting finishing touches on it. I'll be using the status updates in my profile to give more info.

• Upvote 2

Aww, the pink is really, really, PURPLE... *sigh*

Too much purple, not enough pink...

Well it's better than the blue, anyway.

Is it possible to have a color scheme more pink-pink and less purple-pink? Kinda like the old site's colors.

Aww, the pink is really, really, PURPLE... *sigh*

Too much purple, not enough pink...

Well it's better than the blue, anyway.

Is it possible to have a color scheme more pink-pink and less purple-pink? Kinda like the old site's colors.

Not at the moment, I'm still getting familiar with the backend so that's about the best I can do at the moment and have contrast still working properly.

Harroooow. Bit late I know but I only managed to get my butt on this site! Can I just say I love the new layout, it feels very modern and neat. The banner is also cute but I did love the rotating banners to show off other member's banner making skills. But then it wouldn't be very central so idkkkk.

Anyway, just here to say I like the updates. I'll have a proper look around this site once I finish watching TV x'D

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this