Forums
BlueLionheart

Arina Tanemura to end exclusively drawing for Ribon.

Well, this is kind of awkward. Anime News Network reported today that Arina won't be exclusively drawing for Ribon after Sakura Hime Kaden has ended. Apparently she's going to be a freelancer. I wonder what this means for her future series?

Tanemura Arina has also launched her new website at Tanemura-Arina.com

Full story at Anime News Network

Actually, this is especially awkward because in one of her books, she says she wants to draw for Ribon forever. I can't find which one she says that in right now, though.

Edited by Access-chan
  • Upvote 1

^_^ I like that she launched her official website at 11:00 am on 11/11/11.... Herp!

I don't think its awkward at all! Plans change over time... :MLPSweetie: Arina-sensei is really talented, so I don't think its a bad thing for her to go out and try different publishers.... ^_^ She might get better deals elsewhere xD Or maybe she'll be less restricted so her work will turn out even better than before! ^^

Yeah, Fudanjuku Stories was in Margaret. But it was still under Shueisha... I wonder if she'll publish more in Margaret (since I know she loves that magazine)... Or maybe she'll go to another company. Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be great. I just hope her works continue to be localized, so I can buy them. XD

Also, I just bookmarked her website. Yay!!

OH! We wish her luck and will follow her where ever she goes :) She is incredible and an inspiration. It's thanks to her that we have made such amazing friends

Oh wows, I think I actually gasped out loud when I saw this...Not sure what this means for any future work, hmm. I do hope that this doesn't change what she does too much, actually, I rather like the fact that most of her stuff doesn't have gore and whatnot ^^;; and the girliness of the art, plots, themes, etc. (but then again...this is coming from someone who detests change XD;;, who knows, maybe this'll be a nice change ^_^) Though, it'd be interesting to see what she'll do now, since she's been in Ribon for longer than I've lived :) I'm really glad she's wrapping SHK up (and the fact that she's not quiting manga-making in general, because if that ever were to happen, I'd go emo, crawl into a hole somewhere far far away and then cry tears of blood to death..)But, man, let's hope Viz'll still liscence her stuffs if she does end up working outside of sheuisha...like, if they didn't and no one else did....*grabs baseball bat* Good luck to her anyways!! We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out!

^random scatter of my opinion XD;

Thanks very much for the info, Blue!

• Upvote 1

I do remember her saying there was a manga she always wanted to write, but that she would probably never write it because it was unsuitable for Ribon and she hoped to stay with them as long as her career, was it in Full Moon? I think it was one of them...

I hope everything works out for her while she is freelancing. :)

I think it's alright that she's moving to the next stage in her life. :) And I'm sure she'll still be the amazing mangaka that we all love~ I love it when I say to my friend, "Oh, and you have to read this other series by Arina Tanemura!" And she replies, "Another one!? That woman is amazing!!" It makes me smile~

• Upvote 1

I don't think Arina's next work will be so gross its unreadable. I think it may just be targeted at a different audience.

Ribon is a kids magazine, quite frankly. It targets preteen girls, and therefore isn't supposed to have mature content. However, now that Arina is free to go to different publishers, she won't be inhibited by the line of "appropriate" and "inappropriate". She can choose where to draw the line.

All the better, I say! :MLPSweetie:

It means we might get to see some whole new genres and some interesting new characters.... >D Yippeee!

Ribon is a kids magazine' date=' quite frankly. It targets preteen girls, and therefore isn't supposed to have mature content. However, now that Arina is free to go to different publishers, she won't be inhibited by the line of "appropriate" and "inappropriate". She can choose where to draw the line.[/quote']

This is good way to put it indeed. A great example of this would be My Little Pony, in season one they were restricted by a rating of EI and quite literally got in big trouble when Rainbow Dash called Twilight Sparkle an "Egghead" during the Running of the Leaves episode. Season 2 they decided not to go with the EI rating and you have such gems as Fluttershy dumping a bucket on Twilight's head and going "YOUR FACE!"

@ Access - So its safe to hope for the best until she presents otherwise! But I doubt she will x3 It'll probably be awesome!!

@ Blue - I don't think it'll be different than normal~ I think it'll just be a better version of the norm.

*random things learned from Arina's website*

Hayao Miyazaki and Hideaki Anno are listed as her influences.

She wanted to be a singer/voice actor (if I've got that right >.

Her name somehow translated to "Vegetables have Tanemura".... hahahaa

She wants to go to Switzerland, England, and Canada.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftanemura-arina.com%2F

*random things learned from Arina's website*

She wants to go to Switzerland, England, and Canada.

Maaaann, if she ever went to Canada...I don't care how far I'd have to go...like, if she actually walked on Canadian land....*-*

I'm sorry if I'm driving off-topic-ness here, but was I the only one thought of the old ArinaFans before the migration when I saw the site...? I think it's just the shade of pink used, but....

@Chimitsu: ahww, that's so cool, thank you so much for the info

• Upvote 1

Not 100% sure, but I think the Full Moon thing is something like this:

Four pocket-sized volumes of FMoS will be published! Volume 1 and 2 will be released January 18th, and volume 3 and 4 on February 17th. The covers will be new, original drawings (?). They will include some extras, such as a bonus story in Vol. 1.

What does this mean to American readers? Hopefully nothing, but Shueisha, the publisher of Ribon, is also one of the parent companies of Viz Media, which means that American readers have had a direct pipeline to Japan for Tanemura's works. Viz has published almost all of Tanemura's manga series as well as the anthology Short-Tempered Melancholic, a collection of some of her short stories, in the U.S. As long as Tanemura continues to be published by Shueisha's magazines, there should be no problem; if she moves to another publisher, however, the business picture might become more complicated.

Interesting bit I found. Not sure its really that important at the moment, but I felt like sharing...

I'm sorry if I'm driving off-topic-ness here' date=' but was I the only one thought of the old ArinaFans before the migration when I saw the site...? I think it's just the shade of pink used, but....[/quote']

Out colour scheme used darker shades of pink, but the contrasting between the colours on her layout is similar which is likely what is causing you to think that.

Here's an image comparing the background colour on her site to the colour scheme used on Arinafans 1.0

Although some of the accent colours we use here are extremely close to the background colour she is using.

You can see on the second image my attached thumbnail of the first post being attached blends in with the background fairly well.

Untitled.png

Desktop_2011_11_16_23_18_04_772.png

I'm not sure about Fudanjuku stories, but isn't Margaret under Shueisha as well...? If it is, then does that give it a higher chance to be localized, than if it wasn't under Shueisha?

Also, I've been wondering, where is the source for what kinds of genres she wants to do? I notice people mentioning maybe doing shonen manga and I'm just wondering if there's a specific soruce for that?

Well I'm sort of okay with her switching and as long as i can read her mangas im happy. but as for here website im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo EXCITED! :FMFMlove: