Forums
Otaku Ookami

Opinions on Arina's works you disagree with...

Gonna reiterate something from the start of this thread:

Please don't bash others' opinions, though.

I think it's okay for people to like different shippings, but I feel that we're losing respect here. Chiibi, I agree wholeheartedly with you on shipping MitsukixTakuto, but who is to say that anyone else can't like EichixMitsuki? It's not a rule here or anything.

Chiibi, I'm not saying that you're bashing Neku's opinion entirely, but try to take it down a notch-- I'll admit that sometimes I think you're a little sharp-tongued, but again, I don't mean that rudely.

Neku's allowed to have her own opinion. Truthfully, there's no such thing as a "wrong" opinion. You can try to persuade others, but that doesn't mean that they'll agree, which is something that I struggle with. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it's right or wrong. Let's not force 'em on each other, okay?

*coughs* Anyways, let's continue on...

• Upvote 4

Oh Otaku, I forgot to mention! From the moment I saw this topic I was like "Oh, this sounds cool!" And I knew it'd be an active one~ And certainly an interesting one as well! So thanks for creating it♥

Feather's right, but I'm not gonna dwell on what she said because I don't want this to turn into a ganginguponchiibifest.

Opinions are personal, so we should all just learn to accept another person's opinion. If you want to debate, that's fine, but don't turn it into a personal attack. And saying "I can't even take you seriously if you're going to make that argument" was bordering on a personal attack; you were insulting Neku's credibility and her right to have an opinion based on her own beliefs.

And also, Sweetie-chan would like to remind you all that adding little smiley faces like ";)" or "xD" to the end of your sentences doesn't make your statements any less harsh, it only makes it look like you're being condescending. caps and bold will do that, too...

I would also like to just say....Feather is absolutely positively right about every topic turning into a big brawl whenever MitsukixTakuto comes up. Free speech, of course, so I can't stop you from talking and arguing and bashing other people's opinions, but wouldn't it be much nicer if we could all just...leave that one alone sometimes? It totally drives things off topic and can also hurt feelings. It's not something ya'll need to take so seriously, whether you like the couple or not. Disliking the couple is not a personal attack on those who do like them, and I know I'm speaking for everyone on ATFC when I say this. I mean, just earlier today, in this very same topic, Otaku-chan stated an opinion entirely different than Angel-chan's previously stated opinion, and instead of saying "HOW DARE YOU DISLIKE FULL MOON WHEN IT SAVED MY LIFE!!" Otaku had the politeness and decency to simply settle with "I found it really interesting that you have such differing views on Full Moon than I did."

I think we all need to just relax a little, because we're all different, right? :) I mean...I like grey eyes, but my friends like blue eyes. When I tell them I like grey more, they just smile and shake their heads. So let's all just smile and shake our heads.

And maybe throw in a quick apology to anyone we've offended in the past?

Anyways, back ON TOPIC!! One of my friends read SDC, and what she told me was:

"The art is absolutely weird. Their eyes are so huge! And all the girls had tiny little waists and big boobs and curves and little necks and big heads. And nobody actually has hair that long. Maybe one or two people but not that many people. Even in Japan, most of the girls have shoulder-length layered cuts. And EW they were all BLONDE!!! That doesn't even make sense. Could you imagine a Japanese person with blonde hair??? That's craaazy."

And later...

"I hated the plot. It was confusing and seemed to be made up as the author went. Plus at the beginning I couldn't tell any of the characters apart, there were too many! And I hated the main male. He was so annoying and not romantic at all."

After I made her read TSK...

"It was better, sorta. It was too short though. The last book was really crammed. She should've switched the length of that one with the other one. But I think the art actually looked better. Even the nonhuman ones looked more human."

((Took these from our skype convo...haha))

• Upvote 2

Anyways, back ON TOPIC!! One of my friends read SDC, and what she told me was:

"The art is absolutely weird. Their eyes are so huge! And all the girls had tiny little waists and big boobs and curves and little necks and big heads. And nobody actually has hair that long. Maybe one or two people but not that many people. Even in Japan, most of the girls have shoulder-length layered cuts. And EW they were all BLONDE!!! That doesn't even make sense. Could you imagine a Japanese person with blonde hair??? That's craaazy."

And later...

"I hated the plot. It was confusing and seemed to be made up as the author went. Plus at the beginning I couldn't tell any of the characters apart, there were too many! And I hated the main male. He was so annoying and not romantic at all."

After I made her read TSK...

"It was better, sorta. It was too short though. The last book was really crammed. She should've switched the length of that one with the other one. But I think the art actually looked better. Even the nonhuman ones looked more human."

((Took these from our skype convo...haha))

I actually agree that TSK could have been a bit longer.... In fact, I might have enjoyed it more if it were a bit longer and possibly SDC-sized, LOL.

Truthfully, I don't plan on finishing SDC... I just didn't like it as much as Arina-sensei's other works.

You've actually ruined TakutoXMitsuki for me because I'm constantly reminded of these arguments whenever I read Full Moon, and I hate that because I adore Full Moon!!!

If you like or hate something, you should like or hate it regardless of what anyone else says. o_o Don't let your opinion be swayed so easily. And I think you are overreacting a little. These are not brawls or flame-wars. We do not have negative opinions of each other...at least, I don't think we do.

And saying "I can't even take you seriously if you're going to make that argument" was bordering on a personal attack; you were insulting Neku's credibility and her right to have an opinion based on her own beliefs.

But it's only because she was applying it to a single couple. Maron and Kyoko and Haine were all sixteen (same as Mitsuki) when they got with their love interests and they ended up married to them. So I don't see why Neku is singling out my OTP and saying "oh they're gonna break up".

*sucks breath in*

Okay...............going to let you all in on something rather personal.

All of you know I care about the couple....but I'm not sure if you know just how much. This isn't your typical ship where you go "Oh, they are cute", make a few fanarts/writings, graphics, and move on.

No.

This is..........obsession. Major obsession. This is an experience I've never had before. This is actually unreal. Even I can't fathom why their relationship is so important to me. I've been alive for more than two decades and I've never found something this precious to me, pushing aside my love for family and friends. It's really rather......mind-boggling. All I know is that they have always been able to make me happy and there are not many things that make me happier and I don't ever want to stop loving them. I can still remember back in June, for the very first time, I was questioning them and it was just one of the worst days over. I was absolutely miserable. So much that I was crying.

Yes. I was crying because I thought I was going to lose my love for two fictional characters in a fictional relationship in a fictional story that was written over ten years ago for little girls.

I am sure that most of you are thinking "........o_o that is NOT normal!!"

And you're right. It's totally not. But I've always had issues. lol Like I said, the entire obsession is a mystery in itself to even me. I hope the answer will be revealed to me in time...but it's been almost ten years now and I'm no closer to figuring it out. And not understanding it myself doesn't help my irrational behavior even a tiny bit because if I understood, I think I'd be much better at controling it.

Thus..........

It might sound silly and ridiculous and WTFish but when Neku said that, it really hurt me....and I snapped. It's okay if you don't like them but don't say things that awful to others who DO. It's like taking someone's dream balloon and popping it with a jaggy knife.

So yeah, I lost my temper just a little bit there. I wasn't just angry. I felt like I'd been stabbed, somehow. And it was very painful.

Its a very easy mistake to make. I know I really care about my boyfriend, but I know that I dont properly LOVE him. I might have thought I did, but after recent events I know thats not the case, but I care about him. But I know better then to believe he is the one I want to spend my life with. Because, at the minute, he's really not. He's a person I care about, and enjoy being in a relationship with. But he's not the person I see myself spending my life with. Not at the minute anyway, because its silly to become so invested in a relationship so early on.

Neku, applying your own experiences to the situation of a fictional character, especially a shoujo manga heroine....really doesn't make a convincing debate here. Real life=/= manga. You can't go "this happened to me so I think it should be this way for all made-up romances too".

This simply doesn't work. I've learned that if you don't distinguish the line between reality and fantasy, you're gonna stop enjoying that fantasy really fast. >_>

.......also, in the early 1900s, Russia would disagree with you. :'D They married kids off when they were as young as 14. Nobody thought that was "silly". That was their way of life. I believe young match-making still goes on in some parts of the world today too.

Mitsuki and Takuto didn't fall in love because of just passion. Passion alone is incapable of producing feelings so strong. They fell in love because they went through the most painful but precious experiences of their lives together. Nobody else either one would meet would be able to match those experiences-not even come close to them. That's why I think their love is eternal. Mitsuki thought she had lost him but she wouldn't give any other guy the time of day. She held onto him for three years, even longer than she held onto Eichi because he was the one who made her love herself. And he went to the extreme for her. He'd go to hell and back for her, quite literally.

I know people change with time....and feelings change but the types of feelings these two have are just way too strong to change. It's not a shallow crush, nor puppy love. It's true love.....which can only be experienced once and lasts forever, if you believe in soulmates. I definitely do and it looks like Arina does as well.

I've been hinting at it for ages

I um......really didn't see that coming at all. XD I didn't get the hints.

"The art is absolutely weird. Their eyes are so huge! And all the girls had tiny little waists and big boobs and curves and little necks and big heads. And nobody actually has hair that long. Maybe one or two people but not that many people. Even in Japan, most of the girls have shoulder-length layered cuts. And EW they were all BLONDE!!! That doesn't even make sense.

...............this girl hasn't read that many manga, has she? XD Arina's anatomy is like, NORMAL compared to many shounen artists who literally make girls' breasts the size of their heads!!

And people DO have hair that long!

Could you imagine a Japanese person with blonde hair???

Yes, if you tune into Japanese Ninja Warrior, the obstacle course show, there's a girl with half pink and half blonde hair! I can't remember her name, unfortunately.

...............how the hell can she say "most Japanese people have" when she doesn't even seem to be aware that a lot of them dye their hair? o___O

I can't disagree with the "too many characters". Yes, SDC did. That was one of its biggest flaws. And there were too many that were unlikable for me, so when their subplots came up, I really didn't care. XD

Haha well we had Japanese exchange students come to our school and there were about 100 of them so I'd say we had a pretty good taste of the average Japanese high school student... :P

Were they from different schools or just one school?

Some schools are more strict than others about hair. Though I don't recall rules about length of hair. O.o

But.........it's silly I mean. XD Doesn't she get the concept of anime characters? o___O As in, "it's incredibly popular and common for Japan to make drawn characters look like this"?

They've only been doing it since the sixties!!

Lord knows how long manga has been around. Hundreds and hundreds of years?

..... Jeeze. I leave for a few hours and this is what happens? XD

Hmm... I'm going to be honest and say that the fact that all her characters married their first boyfriend kinda annoyed me.. Sorry. We wer ejust focusing on MitsukixTakuto so thats why I mentioned it.

I don't know how I hurt you Chiibi, I'm sorry I did, but I'm not going to change my opinion. And I really didn't want to get into the whole thing anyway.

I wholeheartedly agree with the too many characters in SDC, and TSK being too short. I would have loved more in TSK, it seemed so rushed. And I could hardly follow SDC at all.

I've heard a few reasons as to why TSK ended so abruptly, from health issues on Arina's part, to the publisher, to the little mentioned in the last volume itself, but I'd guess the rush was from real world problems and not actually because the story was, like, "planned" to be written like that. Like your friend and Otaku said, if it were SDC-sized (or SHK-sized, I guess, too, since both TSK and SHK were more fantasy and happened in different time periods), or even FMoS- or kkj-sized, that would've been a really, reeeallly good story. I've always believed that the strangers introduced really quickly each had their respective personalities and past stories; the story just never got to them (really glad Arina got to use Yume's supposed-to-be-story in SDC. I read SDC before TSK, but I know if that'd been reserved, I would've been dying to know what Yume was all about since she was the "darkness" stranger, which sounds, like, freaking controversial.). The universe it was set in seemed to be the sort where you could write in an endless amount of material, and the quest Kyoko was sent on could probably cover a really long time. Looking at how long it took to recruit the strangers in the first couple if chapters, it probably would've taken a really long time to get all of them, especially with Kyoko, Sakataki, and Hizuki plots tied in.

I'm glad Arina used the last few chapters to wrap up Kyoko's story, rather than rushedly developing all the new strangers. The ending was rushed, but it was great

But I agree with Sweetie's friend and everyone that looking at just the story, it was way too quick and the beginning and end's pacing could've been evened out.

I wrote a bunch of points about the previous Full Moon discussion and SDC and Arina's art style but I accidentally deleted it all O_o

One of my best friends hates manga because of the disporpotions, they're so pretty and she has low selfesteem; she feels it's not realistic enough and feels pressure to look that way.

But I think they should look pretty, I don't read mangas that aren't, I won't even watch cartoons if I don't like the style. I get that it's unrealistic, that nobody is going to look like that, so I think it's fine :) It doesn't matter to me that not many Japanese girls have blonde hair, I don't think I'd like it if all the characters had dark hair!

Gosh I really need to read TSK and KKJ :(

And Chiibi, sorry to continue this. I understand that you have a strong obsession, but you treated Neku very unfairly. She hurt you, she knows that now and she apologised. I think she deserves an apology too~

alot of posts can happen in a day O_o

I saw that picture, too (s-so...does this mean I'm not the only one that stalks her tag?! XD). There's a lot of mean posts about her, sometimes criticizing her heroines and mainly criticizing her art style, I find. It's sad, because...well, I know being visually impaired is really hard and it saddens me that so many people are going through such. Poor people.

yah, i stalk her tag all the time :D which reminded me, i remember seeing a post about someone hating her eyes and characters a few months ago, and i wanted to find it again, and i remembered that one of the tags she wrote was something about hating arina, so i searched "i hate arina tanemura" on the tag search and boom... found it.

I could make it through FullMoon wo sagashite, because there is a lack of a wide cast, and Meroko has lighter hair than Mitsuki…

But Gentlemen’s Alliance Cross is just pushing it.

I can’t even tell who’s Haine and who’s Mao and who’s what’s her name (Ushio?) and blaaaaah. And the EYES. They just get BIGGER and BIGGER. It’s like.. GOD can’t you vary your cast just a LITTLE bit? And no, different hair styles and eye shapes do NOT count. It’s no wonder that a lot of the manga I have pisses me off right now. also. “Shizumasa-sama” my ASS.

“Hey, I’m Haine and I’m a freaking Yankee and I’m super tough and the emperor’s bodyguard and I used to pick FIGHTS with other people on the STREETS! Oh! Shizumasa-sama! The guy who I met ONCE before and is a big jerk to me all the time and totally ignores my feelings I’m just going to sit here and cater to his every whim because I magically turned into a big fat crybaby who can’t make rational decisions and just randomly starts bawling every time ONE person doesn’t like me/gets into a fight with me because it’s not like I was this hardened Yankee who PICKED FIGHTS WITH EVERYONE AND WHO HAS GAINED ENOUGH PHYSICAL STRENGTH TO DO THAT NOOOPE.”

Can you tell that this series is annoying me?

(i didnt know what to think of this when i saw that^ even though i dont like haine, i still thought this post was really harsh on both haine and arina...)

theres this too..

tumblr_m7ipcqeO4o1r494d9o1_1280.png

i thought her art was cute and pretty and sweet ;A; some of her characters do look a little similar to another, but its not hard to tell them apart at all ;3; plus i agree, she spends time on her detailed work, is not fair. (=3=)

I'm sorry I was rude to you, Nekugirl. >_

Arina isn't the only one who marries off her first serious loves. Hundreds of manga-ka do it too. I had maybe four years of manga-reading experience before I met her so I was really used to it by then.

If you could do me a favor by saying "they won't break up because that doesn't happen in Arina's worlds", I swear to you, I won't ever mention this again. God is my witness.

I don't know how I hurt you Chiibi,

wha....I just.....explained it...... ._. Telling an avid shipper that you think their favorite couple "will probably break up" is probably the worst thing you could do to a fan because it's like saying their reason for shipping is meaningless. That is a mental slap in the face. I'd have been less insulted if you called me "an idiot dreamer who only likes fairytale type of love" (because it is true). There are canon couples that I hate. REALLY hate. But I don't tell the fans of them "their love won't last". Because that's just going too far....it is not only going against "Word of God" (the creator of the ship) but it is needlessly cruel to the shippers themselves.

Do you undestand this better now?

I've heard a few reasons as to why TSK ended so abruptly, from health issues on Arina's part, to the publisher, to the little mentioned in the last volume itself, but I'd guess the rush was from real world problems and not actually because the story was, like, "planned" to be written like that.

I was going to bring that up but you covered it nicely.

I found KYOKO to be an enjoyable read (the first time I read it was on the plane back to home from Japan (where I bought it lol) and I couldn't put it down. But unlike KKJ or FMWS or SHK, I feel 'detached' to it when I'm not reading it. I don't think about it or fan over it all that much. I do love MizunoxSarai though. I have an avatar of them on livejournal. XD And I love Chokora. SO CUTE!!

I don't think I'd like it if all the characters had dark hair!

IKR. That is SO boring. XD Rumiko Takahashi annoys me with that. Actually one of my major pet peeves is when only main characters have bright hair and all their classmates have black or brown. How lazy are you, animators!?

And no, different hair styles and eye shapes do NOT count. It’s no wonder that a lot of the manga I have pisses me off right now.

:FMTakutosweatdrop: They most certainly DO count! I'd like to see this person try to draw a manga and see how easy it is to vary your style from character to character. NOBODY HAS THAT KINDA TIME!

I know TSK was rushed near the end because of real-life things, and as far as I'm concerned...she is forgiven! Because I can tell that she still did her very best to make it logical and fun, even with all the constraints.

I've always thought it would have been her best series had it been given the opportunity to flesh out and become a ten-book series. The concept was great, and the fact that it was laid out so each character would come in one at a time and their stories would be revealed one at a time made the large cast much easier to follow than in SDC when the characters were just thrown in randomly and it cut between stories.. Plus, it would've been AMAZING anime material. Spend one or two episodes gathering each stranger, have a few fun-filler episodes sprinkled in between, and then a few episodes of epic showdown at the end!!

Plus I've always felt that the ending would've been so much more heartwrenchingly lovely if you'd seen more of Kyoko prior to it, so you could REALLY grow attached.

Like Mistress Fortune. It was cute and I loooved it! But it seemed a bit too jokeyfunfun to me. I didn't really take anyone seriously or get emotionally involved...

Honestly (and everyone is going to hate me for this) but I can understand where people are coming from when they say that Arina's characters can sometimes look similar.

*ducks and waits to get hit by rotten apples*

When I first started reading Arina's work, I kind of felt the same. This was back when I was new to manga in general and only had a few series under my belt. You could argue that it was my inexperience with manga that confused me rather than Arina's artwork. But sometimes, when I looked between Full Moon and Jeanne, I saw striking similarities. >.> (I was reading them both at around the same time.) I could never mistake Mitsuki for Maron but there were times when Full Moon looked a certain way..... It's hard to explain! Sorry if I don't make sense.

But now that I've been with Arina for years, I can tell everyone apart really easily. And I think since her drawing has improved, her characters look less similar. :)

Still, each mangaka has his or her own art style. So really characters SHOULD look at least a tiny bit similar because they're drawn in the same style, right? XD

• Upvote 2

I agree, they do look similar.

I just don't think it's a BAD thing. I've only actually seen one manga where the facial differences are OBVIOUS and that's Kimi ni Todoke. And that's mainly because the characters all wear different expressions 90% of the time....

But Arina's characters all have different hair and outfits so it's not like...super detracting...

Honestly (and everyone is going to hate me for this) but I can understand where people are coming from when they say that Arina's characters can sometimes look similar.

Very much yes.

First time through KKJ I was always finding myself accidentally mixing up characters.

Plus, it would've been AMAZING anime material.

It WOULD have been!! D: It had so much potential!

Arina's characters sometimes look similar to me at first glance, before I get to know them.

Once I know them, it's a whole different story.

There is no way I would mix them up or confuse them. o_O

First time through KKJ I was always finding myself accidentally mixing up characters.

Really? o_o Who with who!? I thought that was one series where everyone looked the most different!

It WOULD have been!! D: It had so much potential!

Arina's characters sometimes look similar to me at first glance, before I get to know them.

Once I know them, it's a whole different story.

There is no way I would mix them up or confuse them. o_O

Really? o_o Who with who!? I thought that was one series where everyone looked the most different!

I don't even remember, I think it was two of the males though.

Yeah, Maron is the only heroine that is unmistakable to me. Mainly because of the difference in style but also because...she did look different... xD

Mmm sometimes I think Maron and Kyoko look similar but Maron in her own universe? Definitely.

I remember being seriously confused between Chiaki and his father the first time I read it, but I guess that's almost the point? XD;; Like, Miyako totally made the same mistake I did, so..

I think Kyoko looks similar to Maron in certain illustrations, too, but I guess it makes sense considering they were side by side chronologically, and Arina sometimes drew similar clothing styles for them..

I remember being seriously confused between Chiaki and his father the first time I read it, but I guess that's almost the point? XD;; Like, Miyako totally made the same mistake I did, so..

Yeah, that is intentional. XD But his dad's hair is also darker....

^I didn't get that at first XD but I was like nine or something when I read the first three volumes the first time around so I didn't get much >>

I never messed up Maron and Kyoko. :o I mean...looking at pictures of them they are easily distinguishable to me...

Maron kinda looks ditzy, to be honest. Her eyes and mouth and facial expressions. And Kyoko just looks friendly.

Maron kinda looks ditzy, to be honest.

She does not! D: How do her expressions look "ditzy"!? "Eyes and mouth"? Maron's expressions are always like she's happily greeting you, about to tell you a secret, or encouraging you to have faith. Sometimes you can see the loneliness in her eyes too. I don't see any ditziness whatsoever.

Kyoko looks more "ditzy" to me....and in reality, she is, by a lot.

On the whole, I really don't think it's fair to judge a character's intelligence based on how she looks. >_>