Forums
Otaku Ookami

Opinions on Arina's works you disagree with...

Ehhhh if I had to choose between SHK and KKJ artwork, I'd choose KKJ's... :P The fact that it wasn't as fluffy meant that the story didn't have to be fluffy which just...I dunno, it all came together. SHK...it's awesome in it's own way but I found that the artwork and the story kinda clashed D:

As for Zen...YESSS!!! :D I'm a huge fan of Zen. And I agree that he's all cool'n'stuff like the person said. :D

I really loved the older style of ION and KKJ but I also feel like the anatomy of Arina's work has gotten better through the years since. KKJ was full of girls with no waists. And there were times when Maron and Chiaki would hug or something and their position would be awkward. And sometimes a hand would be too big or something strange like that.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything. I really do love the older style! I just think the anatomy has been much better since (like in SDC and especially SH) and there are less awkward hands. ;)

But hooray for the praise! All of the pictures look great, Mitsuki ^^.

wahh thank you! :3

~~~

im not quite sure on what i thought about some of the confessions, some i agreed on and some i slightly disagreed, and some i couldnt judge because i havent yet finished the story (there were quite a few sakurahime confesses and i havent finished reading that yet so i'll leave my opinions on them til later :D)

the one about her art style going downhill i wasnt quite sure on, because i think her drawing got alot better too, but i thought it was the storyline of SDC that went downhill, not the art :) (that confession was the only submission sent through anonymous ask, most of the others are submitted the proper way where i can see whos submitting them ;)

I was really happy at getting the zen one, hes one of my favourite characters in KKJ too, and i love the positive confessions about Maron, she's getting the love she deserves here >:3 i agree with the gunjo one is well, hes my favourite in mistress fortune too x3 but the one about fullmoon manga being vastly superior to its anime counterpart i had to say was 50/50 to me, because i like both of them equally :3 biased because she's one of those who saw the anime first :D

I actually didn't like the anime that much... The manga was just that much better if you ask me. I loved it for being dark; not light, fluffy, and fun like the anime.

the one about her art style going downhill i wasnt quite sure on, because i think her drawing got alot better too, but i thought it was the storyline of SDC that went downhill, not the art :) (that confession was the only submission sent through anonymous ask, most of the others are submitted the proper way where i can see whos submitting them ;)

Haha, when I read this, I read it as storytelling after SDC rather than storyline of SDC because I am dumb. For me, there were certain arcs that I cared about and others I just sorta went through with less enthusiasm (the Maora arc, for example, ticked me off in ways I don't understand and I had to reread the Ushio arc a couple of times TO understand), so I partially agree, but not completely, because I see the series in chunks rather than a neat, straight line.

But yeah, um, I misread it and that mistake got me thinking about how her storytelling has changed through the years. It's always amazed me the amazing change she made between I.O.N. and kkj--I mean, nothing against I.O.N., it's great and cute and without it we probably wouldn't have the Arina we have today, but kkj in my addicted mind is this beautiful, shiny, perfect thing, so, uh..yeah. Without listing off everything's she's ever done, as far as her ongoing work goes, I've always found it interesting how SHK is, I guess, Arina at her greatest, with great art, great ideas, great plot, great characters, great twists, great..everything, but I just never got as happy as I did in kkj and the others when things went Right for everyone or as surprised about the twists or as sad about the deaths. Not that I wasn't, I just..find it interesting that her old stuff provokes more emotion from me than her new stuff (maybe that's a good thing..), when it has pros where kkj n FMoS n SDC had cons.

I don't know XD

I actually didn't like the anime that much... The manga was just that much better if you ask me. I loved it for being dark; not light, fluffy, and fun like the anime.

I dunno. FM's anime was not light and fluffy ALL the time.

On the contrary, there were plenty of dark, depressing scenes. Even the parts that weren't about Eichi's death. The camera dude stalking Mitsuki (she was almost killed!), collapsing on the street (again, she almost died there) Izumi taunting her, the old man, Sanada-san Mitsuki bonded with dying in front of her......and Takuto's struggles with his past and ghost problem were downright chilling at times. So no, it wasn't all flowers and sunshine. And it pulled off that drama REALLY damn well. Because the director was so good.

And a shinigami trying to trick a little girl into jumping to her death by using illusions of her dead parents is NOT something I call "fluffy and fun" either. XD;

THAT'S TWISTED AND CRUEL!

Was Mitsuki ever put into those same awful situations in the manga?

Nope, she wasn't. Takuto and Meroko didn't suffer nearly as much either while helping her. If you think about it, when it comes to shoujo anime in general, Full Moon is DEFINITELY one of the heavier, darker ones, merely disguised under bright colors and cute artwork.

The darker parts of the Full Moon anime were amazing I can't deny that!~ But between those dark bits is a bit too much fluff~

And Meroko isn't as likable a character in the anime, nor is Izumi And I loves them

And Meroko isn't as likable a character in the anime,

I strongly disagree. I LOVED Meroko in the anime whereas in the manga, I spent most of the time calling her a selfish bitch because she really acted like one. XD I mean, she SLAPPED Mitsuki in the face, tried to kill her, and she hurt Takuto with her whip!! I can't possibly imagine the sweet anime Meroko doing those awful things!

She was so cutesy and fun-loving in the anime and she was always supporting Mitsuki and treated her with more love like a big sis. That was really cute. Manga Meroko was not likable until practically the last two volumes and her bond with both Mitsuki and Takuto didn't feel nearly as strong and affectionate.

Perhaps? :3

I found out that's the reason Arina likes Eichi so much. "His personality is like mine".

huh, what personality? *shot* XD

I prefer kind-hearted characters. I know meaner ones are more realistic....but I can't relate to a girl who goes out of her way to hurt others to benefit herself. That's why I didn't like Meroko or Madoka. They were just so.....malicious.

Oddly enough, I love Rurijou. F*cking LOVE her. Even though she also acted that way. But Enju seriously treats her like crap so I guess I feel her acts are justified. Compared to her, Mero and Madoka's problems feel really petty and they whine "Wah, no fair" every time they don't get what they want like little brats. (I'm talking about before Mero remembered her past of course).

And I'm like this towards EVERY shoujo love rival who tries to make the main character's life a living hell because "wah, the guy who likes you isn't paying any attention to MEEEEEE. Why!? I'm so much better! Well, I'll teach you to steal my limelight!"

All I think about is "How can you be so selfish!?" when I see these brats.....>_>

This is why I love Takuto so much. XD When a rival appears, yes, we both bitch and whine in the corner of woe to ourselves...but we don't try to do anything about it. hehe

I remember a conversation from school waaaaay back before I even met Full Moon's characters:

Me: *glare glare* What's that guy see in her?

Friend: Do you like him?

Me: O////O WHAT, NO!

Friend: You totally do. -_-

Me: No, I don't!

Friend: You're blushing a lot!

Me: >_>..........

Friend: Are you gonna tell him?

Me: NO WAI!!! I CAN'T. HE ALREADY HAS A GIRLFRIEND!

heh....heh.....I'm such a wuss.... *wry laughter*

Oddly enough, I love Rurijou. F*cking LOVE her. Even though she also acted that way. But Enju seriously treats her like crap so I guess I feel her acts are justified.

I actually don't like Rurijou at all... I find her to be really annoying. Even if Enju treats her poorly, I don't think all of what she does is justified... Of course, I have only read up to Volume 8, so I don't have all of the most recent chapters read.

I've always really liked her. :'D No idea why. XD It's very unlike me!

emmm, most of you from tumblr would have seen this:

tumblr_mbpua2Q0Np1r7ogo4o1_500.png

artist-confessions:

I am not attacking Arina Tanemura’s ability to tell stories here but telling her characters apart is a task you need to train your eyes for

submitted by -
Anonymous

i was a really annoyed by this, but not because of the picture, but because the people reblogging this gave totally harsh comments, which i thought was really disprespectful towards arina, there were too many, and currently the notes for this posts are growing slowly,

i reblogged it with this comment

;__; i-im a huge fan of arina tanemura, so the reblog comments kind of hurt, but i can’t disagree at the fact that her faces look the same most of the time, because they do. i can tell all the characters apart (madoka, meroko, haine, kisaki, etc), though that’s probably because i read through them all the time and got used to them. i know her faces put people off when trying to read her manga’s, but it seems like not many care about what the characters go through or what the plots are about because of it >.

tbh, i can tell her characters apart because theyre all from different stories, its not like they're all twins, they all have something that tells them apart, though some do look very similar.

• Upvote 1

i've gathered up some of the reblog comments, some were slightly positive, others, weren't nice to read, it really hurt to see these comments about arina, only very few actually spoke her postive points.

Is she idiot or what? I think that creating different faces is an ability that every artist should have. This is just a silly excuse to not learn to draw different faces

I LTERALLY HATE ALL OF HER WORK BECAUSE THAT IS THE STRONGEST CASE OF SAME FACE SYNDROME AND JUST WOW

I SHOULDN’T HAVE TO KICK MY OWN ASS TO FIGURE OUT WHO IS WHO IN YOUR STORY JUST JESUS CHRIST

I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A SPREAD OF ONE CHARACTER’S DIFFERENT FACIAL ExpressionS (NOT THAT THERE’S MANY)

THAT’S NOT THE SAME FUCKING PERSON EACH TIME? NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

I call this the Arina Tanemura syndrome. Because she suffers it hardcore. Doesn’t make her art any less pretty, but damn isn’t it impossible to tell her characters apart. Sometimes she even goes for the same hairstyle.

this one particularly annoyed me because he/she wrote it as if drawing the same faces was a disease, and again, we cant 100% disagree because it's true her faces are similar

and now for some positives :)

true, i’m only a fan of her work because i love how she colors and lines and her anatomy, the faces just kill me. I try to not notice it as much as I can but wow this just hurts

Maybe they have all the same faces but thats the only bad thing about her stlye. You should see her clothes designs and her fancy and her elaborate setting designs! Its unfair to just show whats so bad abouther style ;(

and out of all the the reblog comments, i really loved this one ;__;

Could not not reblog senpai * /// A /// *

I think the first one could be Madoka, next to her is Meroko and I’m not exactly sure about the third. And I absolutely can’t tell the rest apart xDDD It’s a sad fact that most of her main characters look alike, save for hair and eye colour. Same goes for her male characters.

But what I really wanted to say is that even if you have flaws in your art, you can still be a very inspiring and adored artist, because even though I was very much aware of this every character looks the same thing of hers, I could not stop loving Arina’s works.

I’m not saying that she shouldn’t try to overcome her bad habit of this same-face syndrome, but some people only consider people with perfect anatomy drawing skills and perfect design skills worthy of being an artist, which is not very fair, and frankly, not very true either.

^~^

I have to say that yes, sometimes I did have trouble telling the girls apart at first. I said it earlier. But the thing is, her movement, her anatomy and everything - it's so much better. In KKJ, there were a lot of weird anatomy flaws (like Chiaki hugging Maron at the end of volume 4? Um...I still can't look at that without laughing.) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Arina-sensei has improved a lot and she has something that other mangaka don't have - good movement and especially kiss scenes!

XD The reason I say this is because one time when I was reading St. Dragon Girl by Natsumi Matsumoto, I looked at a kiss near the end of the volume and thought, "Wow, I think this is the EXACT same angle as a kiss earlier." So I checked to make sure and I was right. I then went back and checked MORE kisses and most of them were WAY too similar. -_- I was kind of upset about it. Because then I started to notice that a lot of her character stances and such were the same too. >.> It was disappointing to realize that one of my then-favorite mangakas wasn't perfect.

As for Arina, I love her kiss scenes. >

Oh. And by the way, when you are looking at a character, you are usually looking at MORE than their eyes and mouth. Usually they have hair too. ;)

Maybe I don't mind the "same face syndrome" because I'm not the type to criticize a mangaka who uses similar/the same type of eyes for all her characters? I love Arina-sensei's eye style. It's probably my favorite. So I don't care if she uses it for everyone. :D

I can tell all of the characters apart.... Except from those from SDC, but that's because I didn't like that series. And that is probably the only series by Arina-sensei that I haven't completed simply because I didn't like it.

i didn't like SDC either :) but i finished it ages ago, i have really different opinions on it though from other people i know ;v; (i really dislike haine, i prefer shizumasa over takanari, and the only pairing i liked was maguri x maora)

I love how stick thin his arm is. It looks like it couldsnap in half at any second XD.

It does look incredibly awkward though. Marons hair looks a little weird swell. XD

Maron actually looks like a head, neck, boobs, and then...nothing. Just like, a sheet in the shape of her body was draped over her bust and is hanging from her.... :P

Weeeeellllllllllll

speaking from an artists point of view, Arina's old style has A LOT of proportional issues. She was still young so she was still trying to figure it out (its much better now, but she still has some issues) but dat body and dose hands...I can't get over them XD