Forums
Sign in to follow this  

The little sister to Otaku's headcanons thread, this is a topic for any Alternate Universe ideas/work you have for Arina's series!

What's an AU?

"An alternative universe is a type or form of in which canonical facts of setting or characterization in the universe being explored or written about are deliberately changed.
Stories that fall into this definition are usually what-ifs, where possibilities arising from different circumstances or character decisions are explored. Unlike regular fan fiction, which generally remains within the boundaries of the canon set out by the author, alternative universe fiction writers like to explore the possibilities of pivotal changes made to characters' history, motivations or environment." (x)

Ex: 50 shades was originally a Twilight AU lolwhut

Otaku differentiated headcanons and AUs real well when she said "AUs are completely different worlds and settings than what was in the canon; headcanons are things that didn't necessarily occur, but are possibilities."

Some guidelines:

• Civil discussion and adding onto others' AUs is fine (personally, I think it's the best part, please do this) but do back off if they feel uncomfortable with your add-ons. That said, if you don't want others' intervening with your ideas, please say so!
  • This'll probably lead to point-form ideas like the headcanons topic did, but if you ever have or ever will create more with an AU, like fanfiction, edits, fanart, etc please share it here!
  • Going off of that, I myself am fine with others' creating content off of any ideas I post here (more than fine, really), but other users might not be. Posting a quick sketch of someone's idea here as a pleasant surprise is okay, but if you're using someone's AU offsite, you should get permission and put credit (unless they purposely don't want credit + their screenname spread around? Idek)
  • Crossovers are totally fair game

Aaand I think that's all! Go forth and all that :P

Some guidelines:

• Civil discussion and adding onto others' AUs is fine (personally, I think it's the best part, please do this) but do back off if they feel uncomfortable with your add-ons. That said, if you don't want others' intervening with your ideas, please say so!
  • This'll probably lead to point-form ideas like the headcanons topic did, but if you ever have or ever will create more with an AU, like fanfiction, edits, fanart, etc please share it here!
  • Going off of that, I myself am fine with others' creating content off of any ideas I post here (more than fine, really), but other users might not be. Posting a quick sketch of someone's idea here as a pleasant surprise is okay, but if you're using someone's AU offsite, you should get permission and put credit (unless they purposely don't want credit + their screenname spread around? Idek)
  • Crossovers are totally fair game

Also, my headcanons and AUs are free for fanfic or fan art grabs. (I would die of heart failure/cuteness if someone drew fan art of some of my headcanons... You have no idea.) Some of my headcanons are in my fanfic, but I don't mind if you use some of them or add to them. If you're ever unsure in any case, please PM me.

I'm not the biggest fan of AUs, but I think some really neat ideas can pop up. Mine will probably be more in crossover territory.

AUs/"what-ifs"/crossovers

-I've mentioned this before, but I think it'd be a great crossover if Kaiki and Wakaouji were acquaintances or co-workers.

-Mitsuki as a shinigami. Suppose she did kill herself; what would follow? Would she train under Meroko or Izumi? (Takuto is excluded because he was a failure.) Is it weird I want to know more about the Underworld and how it functions? How many souls are collected in a day? How fast can Shinigami travel? Are ghosts like Eichi a common occurrence? I think that has quite a bit of potential.

-If Mitsuki's parents had lived. How would she deal with her dad's celebrity status? I'm sure the paparazzi would not be kind...

There's three I came up with on the spot. I'm proud of this. :D

Doubleposting to separate my own ideas from the topic starter :P (Edit: nvm, Otaku spared me!)

Dangan Ronpa X Shinshi Doumei Cross-over

tumblr_n15q4d3d5w1ryiei1o7_r1_400.jpg

shsl-sdc-gif-background_zps1xmugjwn.gifshsl-sdc-gif-taka-unoptimized_zps8pm9rqn

shsl-sdc-gif-ushio-unoptimized_zpsqzcuulshsl%20sdc%20gif%20maguri_zpsjsi2fs2q.gi

shsl%20sdc%20gif%20maora%20unoptimized_zshsl%20sdc%20gif%20shizumasa%20unoptimiz

• I posted this on Tumblr ages ago ok this idea is old, from my old DR days, and kind of embarrassing (along with the edits that go with it--I had too reopen some of these gifs just now bc I never looped them properly before wtf also how did you imitate this format so well 50% Off teach me)
  • To quote that post, the gist of the story is: "When Haine Otomiya is accepted into the exclusive Imperial Peak Academy, she couldn’t be more thrilled; she can finally be reunited with Shizumasa Togu, the kind young heir who has held her heart since he inspired her to use her yankee strength to protect others. Their meeting outside the school gates is short lived when Haine loses her consciousness and next wakes up locked inside of the Academy, with a robotic mini sheep standing above her, stating that the students are trapped inside forever unless they kill another classmate and get away with it. Suddenly, Shizumasa’s abrupt change in demeanor is the least of Haine’s worries…"
  • If you're familiar with the original Dangan Ronpa (spoilers ahead:), the Toguu twins are supposed to mirror the twin twist in the game, though hopefully Takanari wouldn't die so early D:
  • The Toguu household in general would play a big role in all the despair business
  • The Kamiyas would be have larger ties to the school than in canon, so that Haine would still have her family drama, mirroring Kyoko's storyline kinda
  • Other than the council, I'd like to think there'd be more students, all SDC characters, trapped as well--I couldn't come up with the total 16 though D; Among them, I'd like to think that that mul-me club president would be an SHSL Journalist, who'd be concerned for her brother's wellbeing (he's the warden and original principal in here and canon), filling in any blanks Haine wouldn't be able to in Kyoko's storyline?
  • Maora and Maguri's respective Super High School Level assignations are based on their parent's jobs
  • Ushio initially paid her way to enter Hope's Peak (hence the "???" title), much like how she followed Haine into Imperial Academy and the council in SDC. Even though she doesn't actually have anything behind the ?'s, like Hinata she's more than competent and ever her smart self
  • I remember I had more ideas on this about how everything actually works out (who kills first, who survives, etc) but now I can't remember anything

Sakura Hime Modern-Day AU

• Aoba is still a prince and though he doesn't have the same power nowadays than he would have in the Heian era, the royal family and their security (modernization of Kohaku and the other ninjas) is among the few that know of yokai, who have recently begun appearing again due to the moon's open passage note that I actually have no clue how the modern day Japanese royal family works so it might just be easier to make the royals a rich company or orgnization Idek
  • Sakura's a sheltered orphan who's been raised by her 'grandmother', priestess Byakuya, and homeschooled with the help of Oumi, her tutor. (I have no idea WHAT to do with Asagiri.) They live near the edge of the city and Aoba and his family are just mere, mysterious benefactors to her, without any of that betrothal stuff.
  • They meet when Sakura sneaks out one night and everything's pretty similar to SHK's first chapter
  • Sakura decides to leave the shrine and follow Aoba to the city in order to fight off the youkai there, moving into his mansion/palace/whatever and enrolling in his high school.

That's all I have for now *lies down*

Edit: I think I said so on tumblr, I LOVE the idea that Wakaouji and Kaiki worked together (especially the way you phrased that little chat thing lmao). Furthering this, I wonder if Zen ever saw Mitsuki or better yet Takuto at the hospital...

I think more underworld laws would be nice as well! One of my favourite parts about KKJ was the little 4-comas that expanded on the world-building, covering everything we didn't know about the angels and demons. Anyway, I'd like to think that Mitsuki trained under Meroko because the world will never have enough womance ok.

Lol FMOS would be so much more cheerful if her parents had lived, though it'd bring up conflicts like the paparazzi thing you mentioned as well. With all those added problems, Mitsuki would probably still wind up asking the shinigami for her Full Moon alter ego, though her parents would probably discover the secret early on.

Okay, ArinaAngel, I may have to write a one-shot or two based on our headcanon conversations.

Also, do you mind if I add something about crossovers to the thread title?

I think I said so on tumblr, I LOVE the idea that Wakaouji and Kaiki worked together (especially the way you phrased that little chat thing lmao).

I didn't see a reply or that you'd reblogged it, but I'm glad you enjoyed that. I really enjoy writing little snippets like that.

I think more underworld laws would be nice as well! One of my favourite parts about KKJ was the little 4-comas that expanded on the world-building, covering everything we didn't know about the angels and demons.

And when series don't have explanations for the canon universe... Hey, more room for the fans to take over!

Your SHK modern-day AU is really cute.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh i love all these AU's omg I love the idea of Mitsuki being trained under Izumi and Meroko lol, they'd probably fight over who gets to train her?

For some reason I imagine Meroko and Izumi becoming in charge of the underworld since Sheldan and Mystere disappears (though this is probably because of 'the webs we weave' fanfiction because it was so well-written and fitting of the plot it felt so canon to me, and because of arina saying they'd go around convincing people they were angels) Meroko would probably make everyone fancy costumes to wear ;D

An AU I think about a lot is, what if all three shinigami's lived? How would they have crossed paths? It's strange because Meroko and Izumi probably would be far off each other by age.... Or at least I think? I wish we knew how long each person was in the underworld for, but my guess was Meroko had been training years before Izumi had since she's Fuzuki's age, hence another reason why Izumi called her a 'pro' when comparing her to takuto, not just because poor takkun was a failure xD

I have a lot more I fantasize in my head about but I can't think of any of them right now I shall get back on that O:

School AU's are always fun to think about lol. Imagine a Gekkan shoujo AU where Mitsuki is in the same place as Chiyo, with Eichi being Nozaki or something, and possibly Takuto as Mikorin (idk xD)

Okay, ArinaAngel, I may have to write a one-shot or two based on our headcanon conversations.

Also, do you mind if I add something about crossovers to the thread title?

I didn't see a reply or that you'd reblogged it, but I'm glad you enjoyed that. I really enjoy writing little snippets like that.

And when series don't have explanations for the canon universe... Hey, more room for the fans to take over!

Your SHK modern-day AU is really cute.

Go ahead! :) I'd do it myself but I'm not sure about the wording you want~ And aah, I'm excited to see what you do :3

I might have queued the post come to think of it xD;, because I'd been posting too many KKJ-related things at the time. &Thanks!

I love the idea of Mitsuki being trained under Izumi and Meroko lol, they'd probably fight over who gets to train her?

Omfg I'd watch this, especially since they'd clash in teaching styles.

I love the shinigami idea aaah! If the shinigami had all lived, I'd like to think that if they'd met, they would've formed a support group of sorts. I want an AU where they wind up as roommates (Meroko moved out to escape her bad marriage, Izumi because of his abusive mother, and Takuto is roped in by Wakaouji who might be the one setting this all up in the first place) and have to reluctantly work through their respective problems alive and together, in the present instead of picking up pieces from the past. Maybe the age intervals are kept, but maybe they can all be teenaged-young adults here? Ones that have to take care of a certain baby girl when an accident leaves her orphaned and Takuto devastated for his old bandmate. (Idek, that last bit is really stretching things haha--this is removing Mitsuki's blood relation to Fuzuki if she'd be aged down with Meroko)

I love school AUs and that GSNK one! I want to see some highlight scenes/manga strips redone with those characters now lol

• Upvote 1

Go ahead! :) I'd do it myself but I'm not sure about the wording you want~ And aah, I'm excited to see what you do :3

Nuuu, do it! Don't worry about wording or anything; I just like to see people's twists on the same or similar ideas. I'd consider it a Christmas gift...

Of course I have a huge Full Moon one that I've only been working on for about seven years. XD

Thirteen-year-old Mitsuki lives a happy life with her parents. Aoi and Wakaouji are still in the music business and she attends their concerts regularly. Meroko, Izumi, and Eichi are all her childhood friends and Ooshige is their homeroom teacher for eighth grade. Takuto is a half-angel, half mortal with magical powers sent from another world to form a contract with Mitsuki and turn her into a magical girl where she enters the dreams of musicians who have lost their inspiration to inspire them once more. Her relationships with everyone deepen and change and nothing is ever quite the same again by the end.

It probably sounds so fluffy and cutesy but it actually has a lot of drama because some of the characters do hold some dark and tragic secrets. Mitsuki herself goes through various trials...but Takuto's role is the center of the story because my obsession with his adorable teenaged self pretty much took over and I'm not sorry about this either. :P

There is a TON of artwork for this project and I started putting it online in 2007 and have gone through many hiatuses so I could figure things out, develop everyone, and learn to draw better. I will definitely revive it soon........because I can't stop drawing it....I have like TEN binders of rough drafts; it's simply ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Maybe this isn't quite an AU, but more of an Alternate Ending. (It's not canon, and has no possibility in the manga, so I'm throwing it in this thread).

Full Moon AU/Alternate Ending:

Suppose the Death Master and Sheldan didn't heal Takuto's vocal chords. From the point when he wakes up from his coma to the ending of the manga, nothing changes.... except Takuto cannot communicate with Mitsuki in spoken word. It turns out he's in the process of learning sign language, and Mitsuki decides to learn it with him.

I wouldn't like that. ;____; Takuto's voice is a gift to the world.

Well, this idea started from a very strange place (my mind):

So... in one of the 50% Off outtakes, Gou mentions something about going to jail and "trading girls for cigarettes." Somehow this lead to Jeanne getting captured and being one of those girls..... which make me think that we need a prison! AU crossover with Arina's characters.

Maron/Jeanne & Chiaki/Sinbad: Theft. (Easy.)

Takuto: Probably a drug-related charge. (Guys, he's in the music industry... Just saying.) Could also relate to Wakaouji-sensei???

Ooshige: violation of a restraining order (that awkward moment when she and Wakaouji meet while incarcerated or something???)

Kyoko: I like the idea of her breaking people out since she can travel in time/stop time?? So maybe she steals artifacts or somehow ends up accidentally taking items and ends up in prison as a result and meets everyone?

Haine: I haven't read this, but as a former yanki... destruction of property is probable, right? Or getting into a fight with an officer?

And then watch them combine forces and be the best criminals the world has ever known.

Add your own or whatever.

• Upvote 1