Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Otaku Ookami

Neko to Watashi Kinyoubi Coming to an End

Arina announced on her twitter that the 11th volume of Neko to Watashi Kinyoubi will be its last. According to Anime News Network, Arina's starting the final arc of the series, which is currently on volume 9.

Love it or hate it, it'll be interesting to see if Arina has any plans for a new series, or will continue to focus on 31 Ai Dream.

51EAo%2B9rZaL.jpg

In short: thank god.

And I don't say that because I necessarily HATE this series, but because my love-hate relationship with it's just gotten tiring at this point. I've said from the start and said even at the rare parts I've genuinely enjoyed that imo this series works better with a shorter run.

Shortness accentuates the sweetness; stretching the plot even longer than it already is would just /further/ prove how thin it is. Sure, simpler shoujo's worn on waaaayyyy longer purely on stilts of tropes, but Arina's...just done better before, IMO.

It WAS interesting to how she'd go about a simpler story, though. One of my favourite parts about Neko is how, despite the unconventional premise, it's allowed her to give her take on stereotypical tropes and play them slow and straight (even SDC, in its dramatic daze, subverted more than NTWNK). Love interests--a perfect sempai and then a pushy first love etc etc--and the conflicts they present come and go, Ai's best friend is more akin to Ion's two besties in terms of complexity rather than the Miyakos and Ushios that preceded her she and Serizawa are cute bc their hair makes Christmas colours aaaah, there's no foreshadowing for future characters and plot points until near their debuts if at all, and Ai and Nekota actually get to go on--gasp--MULTIPLE dates purely out of cuteness without Plot in the form of secret twins or fallen angels to drag them off. Hot springs! Maid café! SMUT. SO much smut I never asked for; I don't hate Nekota and Ai but they are also the last couple I wanted all this from...but anyway

What I'm trying to say is that NTWNK gave her the breathing room and time to do the fun things her more put-together series never did. Maybe it's the more frequent releases or the magazine or just, y'know, the series itself, but this one felt more like a ~serialization than any of her past work. It was episodic; there was continuity but not necessarily complicated characters arcs, and the story arcs she did have going stand alone way easier than say, something out of SDC. There was less of a master plan here.

Like SHK and SDC and probably any longer series she'll decide to do in the future, I feel like Neko'll be easier to read now that I know there's an endgame to it. I get that it's shoujo slice of life so that doesn't mean it needs a clear-cut POINT or destination, but it's nice knowing where the seemingly endless stream of arcs ends. Reading SHK's princess rescue arc as it was serialized was torture for me because as great as it was, the length made it seem like it wasn't headed anywhere (granted, it kind of wasn't in Asagiri's case; her character arc post-back story reveal kinda revolved around making Sakura sad without much development of her own), like we were just wading through set-up with no pay-off in sight. Reading it in piles of compiled volume was worlds easier because you had the happy ending dangling in front of you, reassuring you that things DO change if you're not liking what you're seeing in the present.

(Spoiler for NTWNK post-chapter 13)

All of that said, I'm so glad Ai and Nekota got together so early on. While it's not something I want her constantly repeating, between this and SHK, I am all for her main couples getting together earlier. The journey to coupledom is fun, but so is the journey AFTER they get to their destination.

Anyway, in sum: yay for Neko ending! It'll be a good thing for this series! Can't wait to see what Arina works on next, because Neko's already pushed her envelop in so many ways (for better or worse)! Really hope she's working on something, because 31 Ai Dream's 2-month releases aren't frequent enough to quell my need for her work! The question of whether or not Neko'll ever be licensed is such an interesting one to me! But it's one for another day!

(Angel out.)

Oh! And Blue: 31 Ai Dream's been licensed! It's coming out later this year :)

• Upvote 1

Yup, I saw the tweet.

Prediction:

They will have to break up for a while, then time jump and then they'll get back together in the finale.

I just hope she doesn't draw him all fugly after the time jump though. :/

For future series.....

I WANT MORE MAGICAL GURLZ..... *shot*

Sign in to follow this