Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ariange

Arina's Next Project--Shonen Storyboards?!

Arina did an interview with this blog/podcast called "My Geek Confessions" while at Animefest, and they posted the transcript the other day. Most notable is what she had to say about her future projects (which hasn't been announced in Japan yet):

MyGC: Is there something new in the future that you’re looking forward to or things you’d like to do?

AT: This would probably fall more into the Doujinshi category, but one of the things that I’m looking forward to trying to do, I don’t have any concrete right now, is I’d like to make an illustration compilation of girls. Not characters. Not my characters, but just cute girls.

MyGC: Are there any additional challenges you’d like to do?

AT: Actually yes, probably one thing is Shonen – Boy manga. It’s interesting though because it’s not a work that I’m going to be illustrating. However, I am going to provide the storyboard rough drafts for it. So that’s a new challenge for me.

!!!!!!!!

What do you guys think? Personally, I think this drafting arrangement actually sounds better than doing a whole series by herself; I'm not sure how her art style would translate over to shonen, and I feel like this is a good way to dive into the genre without switching gears entirely.

I only hope that her storyboarding means she has control of the story itself to a certain degree (at best, total control), because I really want to see what her take on a shonen storyline would be like SHK, to be fair, was almost already there. I'm also really excited to find out who she's collaborating with, and what this series'll actually be about since right now it could seriously be anything under the shonen rainbow. I'm hoping for elements of fantasy, female characters that are just as fleshed-out as her shoujo heroines I say this because Yuu Watase's female characters in her Shonen debut don't hold a candle to her shoujo girls and nothing too far into harem territory. I'm also wondering if this is Neko's successor as far as her next big project goes. As in, should we be expecting any other series announcement after Neko ends, or is this and 31 Ai Dream going to be what'll keep her busy afterwards?

Oh, and barely related, but since we're discussing news-y stuff, I thought I'd post the new SDC bunko covers here since no one's made a topic about them yet. The series has been condensed into 7 volumes, and the last one just came out on the 18th. What's interesting to me is that this means that all of her long-running series up until SHK has all been rereleased at some point in the recent years; TSK got new editions a while back as well.

Covers under the spoiler tag:

tumblr_nqd1vehimK1rejw54o1_400.jpgtumblr_nqd1wmMSvx1rejw54o1_400.jpgtumblr_nrhj6oCRzW1rejw54o1_400.jpgtumblr_nrhjdt5pKi1rejw54o1_400.jpgtumblr_nthq25Uoal1rejw54o1_400.jpgtumblr_nthq3mAl5H1rejw54o1_400.jpgtumblr_numhgtwOl21rejw54o1_400.jpg

I really like them all except for maybe the third volume, since I personally could have done without Senri, and the posing/Ushio's blank expression kind of bugs me. I love how Maguri's holding Maora in the fourth volume--that's a really sweet callback. Shizumasa being on the last volume in the same way Eichi was on the last FMOS new edition volume kinda solidifies their similar roles in their respective series for me--at the beginning of each story, they're both over-glorified symbols, plot devices to set things in motion and motivate the heroine in some way, emphasizing and embodying certain themes that by gracing the final covers, readers can sort of look back and reflect on. (Shizumasa did get loads of dimensionality during the course of SDC's storyline, though.)

• Upvote 3

You beat me to posting this! Although I'm glad you did because I am a speed reader (I took a speed reading test last semester with a result of 666 words/minute. I really wish I was kidding about this.) and skimmed over the "storyboarding" bit. I thought she was going to start her own shounen manga.

This is still really exciting news.

I'm not sure how her art style would translate over to shonen, and I feel like this is a good way to dive into the genre without switching gears entirely.

I'm not entirely sure, either, but I will say, Shuri's older brother definitely had some gravity-defying hair in SHK. (And I think she mentioned in one of her Mistress Fortune free talks she gave Giniro spiky hair to mimic the feel of a shounen character?)

Personally, I look forward to seeing Arina's storytelling abilities in a different way. I mean, it's very easy to admire her artwork (because it's gorgeous). I think I forget she writes these amazing and very original stories because I see this gorgeous artwork layered on top.

Sometimes I think it's easy to forget the sheer amount of work that goes into writing a story.

IM VERY MUCH UP FOR SHOUNEN YES OUO though i agree theres no telling how it will be since we're all used to her shoujo goodness ;v; those sdc covers are gorgeous uff--

im just gonna stalk the mangakas she talks to on twitter now >u> hopefully try to pick up any hints (though lately, i see arina fangirling about touken ranbu a lot haha ;v; )

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to see what Arina writes about!!! Aside from my love for shoujo manga, I am also a shounen manga fan. So I'll be looking forward to it. :FMIzumilol2: Omg man I wonder who she's gonna team up with!!??!!! There's just so many possibilities!!! :FMMitsuki@@:

I'm REALLY glad she's not going to "shounen-ify" her super shoujo style....cause....yeah, that doesn't work at all for me. XD Her art is girly as girly comes and it needs to stay that way.

The first cover with Haine.....well.....don't her hips look a little too big for the rest of her body? XD; I hate being critical really

YOOOOOOOO000OOOOOOOOO00000

tumblr_nvdsdeQcUA1upo6fao2_1280.jpg

54bba58bd3ddf1cbe35faac96f3af4da.png

HYPE

eeeee this looks interesting!! ;3;

• Upvote 2

(^you replied to me before i edited my 'yoooo' with all that extra excitement LOL )

aaa me too ;3; im already feeling like drawing up fanart for this series-- just need a more detailed ref of that protagonist `_` )

'magic kingdom' puts a fairy tail/SAO setting in my head, idk why haha ;v;

//coughs at protag.

dan g son.

hes good shi-t.

sign me up.

• Upvote 1

.....Assistant providing the art? ...oh. ok. I was kinda excited to see how Arina would tackle drawing shonen.

BUT UM THE FIRST CHAPTER IS OUT TODAY? THAT WAS QUICK! XD

They must have had this in the works for ages. I feel like usually we hear about something and then we have to wait forever for it, so this is kinda cool.

.....Assistant providing the art? ...oh. ok. I was kinda excited to see how Arina would tackle drawing shonen.

BUT UM THE FIRST CHAPTER IS OUT TODAY? THAT WAS QUICK! XD

They must have had this in the works for ages. I feel like usually we hear about something and then we have to wait forever for it, so this is kinda cool.

No, the first chapter's out in October 28th-- it sounds like more "official" information will be released in the issue that'll be released today. Still, that's only a month away.

Also, I was looking into Comic Zero Sum. Its Wikipedia page links to a data analysis of its readership. I find it interesting that Arina discusses storyboarding a shounen manga when 85% of Comic Zero Sum's readers are female (according to this analysis, anyways). In my mind, the genres of shoujo and shounen themselves aren't directly related to gender (although the respective words mean "girl" and "boy," correct??), but more to "romance" and "action/adventure." (But then again, those can overlap but I digress...)

Of course, girls can (and do) definitely enjoy shounen. (And boys can definitely enjoy shoujo manga.) Either way, I say we just throw gender roles and expectations out the window and enjoy this series.

YOOOOOOOO000OOOOOOOOO00000

tumblr_nvdsdeQcUA1upo6fao2_1280.jpg

54bba58bd3ddf1cbe35faac96f3af4da.png

HYPE

eeeee this looks interesting!! ;3;

I'M LIKING DAT BOY.

Totally gonna read. XD KYAKYA'S ART HAS EVOLVED MASSIVELY. DAAAAAMN.

• Upvote 1